Saturday, December 15, 2007

Ohh... a shooting star..!

Okay, so my latest post won't be the last for the whole year! Here's another one, and I'll probably write again after Christmas.

Weeee....

You know, my sister told me the UP Observatory was going to be open for the viewing of the Geminid Meteor Shower from 9 pm of December 14 to 5 am of December 15. We originally planned to go there, but well... due to unforeseen circumstances, like a cloudy night, I told my mom not to. Later that evening as I was watching MMK, my sister called to me and said the sky cleared up. I said, go wake up our mom, but well, we couldn't wake her up.

I was actually bored after missing the late night news and not finding anything to watch in the local channels, so I laid down and stared. It was quite a sight. Maybe it was more than what I'm really supposed to write about, but I won't make such a big deal about it. I just love staring BLANKLY into space and letting my mind wander. Who knows where my mind can take me? Who knows.

Anyway, as far as my mind went, I was about to sleep when my sister woke me up in such an energetic way. She was actually laughing and happily saying she spotted around 5 meteors fall from the sky. In line with my late night mood, which is by the way my mood when I'm really tired, I said, Yeah, yeah. Okay. Passive, right? Kind of... :D

Though I didn't expect it myself, I was too bored and not sleepy so I went up one floor and found her near our water tank looking up. For those who don't know my room is in the third floor and the extension of our house reaches the fourth floor where a small higher place is dedicated to the water tank. I used to go there... and sing? Yeah, I did once. And also... to pray? Yes, I also did that. Moving on, I haven't been there for ages and even though I'm practically half scared of heights I didn't care.

I went up, joined her and then stared out into the vast sky. What can I say? I had a camera with me and I thought it would be useful... NOT! Anyway, I was using it when I spotted a really bright light fall down from the sky. You'd think it was a singled out firework, but no... it had a round bright thing and a tail. A split second... that was all the time it lasted.

I tried capturing it on my camera, but all I could do was save a picture of the constellation Orion.

Those were the times when dreams and futures made you hope for more. When you could actually see something ahead of you... something fantastic... it makes you want to see more of it. Nobody could tell when the peak was, when it would end, when it was supposed to start... but it was wonderful all the same.

I didn't have to recognize the colors, all I needed was to see a streak of light pass by.

After all those sights and a few more stories, we finally concluded our last meteor. We ended our day, or at least my sister did... and I used her laptop. Yes, I am trying to evade this stupid internet. Something about it makes me feel like time can always be wasted. Like when I use this thing (laptop) and surf the net, I will always waste a thousand moments of my life. Ahh, well, I think I always do.

I found out meteorites are what we call shooting stars. The difference I think lies in the rarity of singular meteorites falling into our atmosphere, and for meteor showers, they originate from comets, or for the exception of the source of the Geminid meteor shower--from asteroids. Meteor storms, though, are much worth the while to look at. As they describe, it's like its raining lights. Well, I really loved that meteor shower, and though it's not as rare as shooting stars, I'd say a thousand wishes came true that night... one of which, was to witness beauty.

For the next time you guys want to witness... something just like that, well when December 14-15 comes along, go out of town and look for Gemini. The Geminid meteor shower is... well... annual. It always comes along, but rarely is it appreciated.

And for a last note... the moment I heard of the Geminids in the news... I felt a connection with my Zodiac Sign... Gemini. There really is a connection with the constellation Gemini, but well, I think it just might have been a sign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home